Brand New Fic of the Week 5/28-6/5

July 09, 2010
Chasm by RaeCullen
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5974763/1/Chasm
Review by KylaPricky



Summary: “Edward becomes paralyzed after a motorcycle accident. He immediately begins pushing everyone away, including his gf Bella. Will he let her back in or tear their relationship apart? "Sing something new, I have nothing left. I can't face the dark w/o you.’’

The Definition of Chasm: (1) A deep, steep-sided opening in the earth's surface; an abyss or gorge. (2) A sudden interruption of continuity; a gap. (3) A pronounced difference of opinion, interests, or loyalty.

"But what if love isn't enough?" -Bella

The universal question; is love really all we need? Is love all it takes to make a relationship work?

This story starts out with Edward in the hospital after a motorcycle accident that could leave him paralyzed forever. This Edward is the natural caretaker and provider that we ladies all know and love. He firmly believes that his role in this relationship is to act as Bella’s protector forever and always. This has caused Edward to not deal well with his current situation. So much so that he is even having problems connecting with the love of his life and fiancée Bella.

I felt for this Edward from the very beginning of this story, but this quote did it in for me. You can see exactly the type of man this Edward is:

“Bella was tiny. Who was going to get the serving platters down from the top shelf of the kitchen cabinets? I always did that shit for her. Who was going to reach the wine glasses that were in the cupboards above the fridge? I always did that shit too. How was I going to be able to do even the smallest things to take care of my Bella if I was confined to a wheelchair for the rest of our lives?” -Edward

At first I wondered why this story seemed to tug at my heart strings so much. I mean, I Iiterally had tears in my eyes with each chapter. I thought maybe it was because my boyfriend rides a motorcycle, so maybe it scared me a bit. I suddenly realized that wasn't the case; it’s because something like this could happen to someone you love at anytime. All it takes in one moment to flip your world upside down. In this story this Bella can’t just get lost in Edward’s emerald stare and then everything is a-ok in the morning. Unfortunately, in life some of us get dealt a shitty hand (pardon my French) and this Edward and Bella are actually going to have to really work to get themselves back on track, back to where they were before the accident.

We, the readers, get little glimpses into Edward and Bella’s previous life with flashbacks that the author weaves throughout the story effortlessly. The flashbacks create the perfect balance of happiness and sadness. Happiness because you Edward and Bella’s love and adoration for one another radiates off the screen and sadness because you so desperately want them back to that simpler happy time.

With most stories we readers acts as voyeurs as we eagerly wait to watch the story unfold. With this story however, the author forces us into Edward and Bella’s shoes and she forces you to think. She makes us ache for both Edward and Bella equally. In this story you’re not sure who to feel for the most and I love this different spin on the typical Edward and Bella dynamic

I know it sounds a bit heartbreaking, but the author has promised a HEA, but also warns that it will not be without trials and tribulations.
I suggest this story with all my heart. It’s only four chapters in, but this story grabs you from the beginning and refuses to let you go.

Banner by NoahEvansMom

1 comments:

  1. ooza said...:

    I love this Chasm! After reading so many, my standards have gone up, and it's hard to find ones that really suck me in during the first chapter. This is definitely one of them.

Post a Comment