JaimeArkin's Rec of the Week: 10/18-10/24

October 20, 2010

On Grey Mornings by littlesecret84
Rating: M
Genre: Romance/Drama
Characters: Edward/Bella

Summary: Bella's tryst with power made her infamous. Hounded and ashamed, she's back in Forks to start over again, but where do you find a clean slate when everyone who sees you already knows your biggest secret?

This story was another recommendation from my lovely fic angel. Once I began reading this addicting story, I simply couldn’t get enough.

In the first chapter, we are introduced to an outwardly confident Bella and a thoughtful, handsome Edward. Bella likes to think she’s better, bigger and brighter than the little town of Forks where she is spending her summer before grad school. She meets Edward at a party and physically things progress quickly. As her inner truths and fears are revealed, we realize she feels an immediate solace in his presence. It’s a security in his quiet strength that she longs for. Until, the next day when a phone call changes everything and we’re left wondering what is Bella’s true reality.

My actions all define me. And it sucks, but it's not unfair. I'm certainly not innocent. I don't think I ever wanted to be innocent. But this life? I never thought that this would be the price I'd have to pay. – Chapter 1

The story is told from Bella’s point of view. Through her inner monologue we experience her vulnerability and insecurity. littlesecret84 offers a beautifully textured character through her masterful writing. Bella has a disdain for her hometown that is evident in her thoughts. Yet, a life altering experience forces her back there.

Nine months later we find out the truth of her actions and how they’ve affected her life. Her preferred environment and friends appear superficial and detrimental. Her long term lover is also quite complicated and only seems to intensify Bella’s demons. She has no one to honestly confide in and trust. Ultimately, we see that Bella’s history provides her with low expectations.

I think about that night, and I'm blushing, not because of what I did, but because I'm embarrassed of how hopeful I was and how I thought I could spend a summer with a complete stranger just because he was nice to me in bed. – Chapter 3

Bella maintains a love hate relationship with the notoriety that she has. She hates the scrutiny, but she loves to share her story. Edward’s desirable character of beloved small town hero is the antithesis to Bella. He is respected and adored. Upon her return to Forks, she finds herself battling with her desire for him. She uses anger and avoidance as her chosen weapons. Her family dynamics are also stressed and layered in misunderstanding. The relationship she has with her father is often strained, pushing her further into frustration and disgust with her present living situation. Bella does possess guilt for what they have endured at the hand of her disgrace. Emotions are heightened and words are explosive.

littlesecret84, also author of the brilliant Brown Study and Age of Consent, has a writing style that is vivid, captivating and unique. At seven chapters in, the journey into this infamous Bella’s past and present is only just beginning. Enjoy losing yourself in this mature, original and layered plot with its rich and believable characters.

0 comments:

Post a Comment