BellaLove72's Rec of the Week: 10/18-10/24

October 21, 2010

Amnesia by GemGirl65

Rating: M
Genre: Romance/Mystery
Characters: Edward/Bella

Summary: What if Edward Cullen weren't a 109-year-old-vampire...what if he were 'born' yesterday? When Bella Swan's truck breaks down in the forest one rainy afternoon, a fateful meeting between the two will alter the course of both of their lives forever. AU, OOC

Two weeks ago AngryBadgerGirl tweeted that this fic needed love, so I decided to check it out. I’m not gonna lie, I was a bit apprehensive at first; I’ve read countless amnesia stories, usually about Bella, but after reading the summary, which I found very intriguing, I knew I had to read it! Not to mention it’s complete! It didn’t take long to discover that AngryBadgerGirl was right; this fic definitely deserves more love!

Edward Masen wakes up in the forest one day with absolutely no recollection of who he is or how he got there. He wanders around in search of food and water in an attempt to quench the undeniable hunger pains and burning thirst that he’s feeling. When he happens upon an old hunting cabin, he’s relieved to find bottled water and a few old cans of beans. But the water and beans do nothing to lessen the pain and burning. He’s lost, confused, hungry, and thirsty, and is slowly realizing that he’s a little different than your average human teenage boy. Unable to find anything else to satisfy his hunger and thirst, he heads toward the highway, hoping to find a nearby town.

Bella Swan decides to take a short cut through the forest on her way home work. As luck would have it, her beast of a truck breaks down leaving her stranded in a thunder storm, without a cell phone signal. She has no other choice but to start walking. She doesn’t get far before bumping into Edward. Watching the way the rain cascades down his face and the lightening highlights his incredulous features; she is instantly mesmerized by him.

After a brief conversation, Bella decides to keep walking to find help, but she trips and Edward breaks her fall. Still holding onto Bella, Edward is suddenly consumed and it doesn’t take long before another part of him takes over, realizing he’s found what he needs to finally satiate his agonizing hunger and burning thirst.

“A final stab of fear woke me to the fact that death was, indeed coming, and I inhaled deeply in a choking gasp, a sickening gurgling noise coming from my ravaged throat. The boy blinked at the sound, as if waking from the same trance I had, and looked down at me with warm, soft gray eyes. It was as if the storm clouds had lifted, leaving a clear blue sky in their wake.

His expression soon changed from calm to agitation as he gazed down at me…as if he just realized what he had done. Even as his features blurred in my fading eyesight, I saw an unmistakable look of guilt and horror seize his face as he viewed his handiwork.

"No," I heard him whisper in a ragged baritone, his hands stroking my hair and smoothing it off of my face. "No!" He knelt over and I whimpered pitifully as his lips grazed my cheek. "I'm sorry," he whispered, over and over. "Please forgive me."

Unable to reply or to move, I simply stared into his beautiful eyes, uncomprehending. A bright light slashed over us…more lightning?…and his haunted expression was the last thing I saw before the dark night enveloped me”

That’s all I can tell you. You’ll have to read it yourself to find out what happens next. But I can tell you that Gemgirl65’s writing is impeccable. I can tell you that Amnesia is a lost gem that is certainly in need of more love. I can tell you that not one character will act the way you think they will at one time or another. I can tell you that Gemgirl65 can write lemons that will leave you in need of a cold shower and a generous supply of dry panties! And I can tell you that while this Edward is utterly lost and confused, he is the sweetest (non sickly sweet), most romantic Edward that I’ve come across in a long, long time, and he doesn’t even know he’s doing it! My God, the swoon worthy moments in this fic are just…. GAH! And the UST…! *fans self*

This is probably the hardest review that I’ve ever had to write because I don’t want to give too much away. Have you ever come across a fic and think, If this were Twilight we’d all still be here? That’s exactly what I thought after reading Amnesia.

I kept waiting for all the cliché events to happen, you know the ones we all read about in so many fics, human and vamp alike; but they never happened. At each plot twist I was convinced I knew which way Gemgirl65 was going to take it; but it never happened.

The entire story has a completely different spin. The characters have some different personality traits and even some of the vampires have different gifts. Not everything is what it seems. While this is a Twilight based fanfiction, Gemgirl65 has certainly taken the reigns by using a menagerie of different vampire traits to make it her own as much as possible. Stephenie Meyer might have named these vamps, but Gemgirl has made them a touch more human; and supplied the lemons! And let me tell ya, the girl can write a lemon!

Go! Go now… Read Amnesia, and don’t forget to leave Gemgirl65 some love in the form of a review!

If you prefer to read on Twilighted.net, Gemgirl65 has recently posted Amnesia there as well. http://www.twilighted.net/viewstory.php?sid=13376

0 comments:

Post a Comment