New Fic of the Week: 9/5/11

September 09, 2011

Give a Little by The Little Wise Owl

Rating: M
Genre: Romance/Drama
Characters: Edward & Bella

Summary: Bella, oppressed by her family's expectations of her, has spent her lifetime playing it safe. Edward, Hollywood actor, has never been afraid of taking a risk. This is a story of what happens when two people, with two different lifestyles, meet. Rated M.

Who out here in fandom doesn’t have a fantasy of one day meeting and catching the eye of one Edward Cullen as played by Robert Pattinson? That he could fall for the likes of little ol’ non-important us? Well, that is basically the premise of this new story by first time writer The Little Wise Owl. Bella is a college student, home for Thanksgiving break to her family’s farm in the small town of Forks.


We first meet her while she is pushing the broken down truck through the mud with her 14 year old sister, Alice. They are anticipating the return of their brother, Emmett, from his home in LA.

"Who is that tall drink of water?" I look up and catch just a glimpse of a tall, slender guy with the messiest hair I've ever seen climbing into the passenger seat of Emmett's jeep. 

"Must be Em's friend." I have little to no interest in the matter. All I want is to take a hot shower and put on some dry clothes. 

"Didn't Em say he was British?" 

"Something like that." I confirm. 

"Hot with an accent? Thank you Jesus! Score one for Ally!" I laugh at her. She's all hormones these days, which worries her dad to no end. Emmett pulls up to us and rolls down the window. 

"Ya'll got it?" His friend is sitting in the passenger seat with his head down, hood pulled up, and sunglasses on. Weird. 

Hmm, sounds like this Edward is based off a certain actor that is near and dear to our hearts. It turns out that Edward is an actor, living in LA, that all the girls have a crush on...all except Bella, that is. She doesn’t even know who Edward Cullen is, which definitely appeals to our favorite celebrity. She is the product of an overbearing mother, who wants Bella to follow in her footsteps and practice law, which Bella isn’t even sure she wants to do.

"I am going to go ahead and tell you too. Don't go and fall for this boy, Bella. You'll be the one ailing a broken heart when he goes to leave." 

"Seriously, mom? I'm not interested and he definitely is not interested. I've talked to him for a whole 5 minutes. You should expect more of me than that." She gives me that look that only a mother can give and continues. 

"I'm serious, Bella. He's good looking and charming and everything that a young girl could easily allow herself to fall head over heals for. I just want you to always use your brain when it comes to things like that. He's a big time movie star from Hollywood. He would be around long enough to get you interested and then leave you wondering what the hell had just happened." 

"Mom, we've been through this before. All I said was that he seems nice. That's all." And it's not a complete lie. Just because I left out the part about how gorgeous I think he is doesn't negate the point I am trying to make. 

"Plus, I think Alice is the one who could really benefit from this little pep talk." She sighs and nods her head. She's obviously thought of that too. 

"Well, just remember what I've said, K?" 

"K," I agree and go back to putting my salad together. 

"You've always been smarter than that anyways, Bells." I am not quite sure why she feels the need to keep going, but I just hum my response. 

"I'm really proud of the woman that you've turned into. Not quite sure I say that enough." Mom has always let her opinion be known that she really appreciates it when she sees young women who value their education more than their love lives. This was not a secret to me. It's probably the reason why at 21 years of age, I've only been on a handful of dates. Instead of starting an argument, I thank her and take the salad to the dining room table. 

Edward asks Bella out on a date and after much considering, she finally agrees. They hit it off great, but Renee is livid and tries to talk some sense into Bella about what she is doing. She begins to see her mother’s point and lets Edward go.

I don’t want to give the whole story away, since it is only 5 chapters in. This is a great story from a first time writer and deserves more reviews than it has. I am so interested in how this is going to play out and how Edward and Bella are going to make it work out being from two different worlds. Go read it! You won’t regret it!

Banner by JaimeArkin

0 comments:

Post a Comment