Completed Fic of the Week: 1/10 - 1/16

January 11, 2011

Little Plastic Castle by Yogagal
Review by RaeCullen

Rating: M
Genre: Hurt/Comfort/Drama
Characters: Edward/Bella

Summary: Even the best built castles sometimes fall. In a coffee shop, in a city...two people struggle to remember how to put those pieces back together.

In a coffee shop in a city
Which is every coffee shop in every city
On a day which is every day
I picked up a magazine
Which is every magazine
Read a story, and then forgot it right away
They say goldfish have no memory
I guess their lives are much like mine
And the little plastic castle
Is a surprise every time
And it's hard to say if they're happy
But they don't seem much to mind
- Ani DiFranco - Little Plastic Castles

It’s no secret that I adore YogaGal as both a person and a writer, so when I found out she was writing another fic I was immediately on board! She warned me that it was going to be quite a bit different from her usual and that it was going to be very (very) angsty. But that didn’t matter to me because I love having my heart stomped all over! I knew it would be amazing, and I definitely was not disappointed.

Little Plastic Castles takes place over a day’s time. We follow Edward and Bella (each chapter alternates from each of their POV’s) throughout their day. There’s not much I can really say without giving too much away because Yogagal does a magnificent job of writing this story in such a way that provides a bit of mystery about what is going on with these two, but brilliantly puts in little details and hints to have your theorizing until finally all is revealed. She had my stomach flopping, my heart twisting and the tears rolling. Yoga’s writing is brilliant, beautiful, heartbreaking and had me begging for the next update. There is no doubt about it, Little Plastic Castles will break your heart, but it hurts so, so, good. 

My head hangs low through most of the meal, but once I finish, I allow myself to look up. A few of the other tables are occupied, some with couples, others with just one person like myself. Nobody catches my eye, though, so I push my chair back, ready to leave and go back to the solitude and familiar comfort of my place.

As I'm about to stand up, my eye catches the daisy on my table and something tugs at the back of my brain. A fuzzy image of a couple racing through a meadow, laughing. The girl runs behind a large tree as if to hide, but the man immediately finds her and they fall into the dewy grass, dotted with daisies. I strain to make out their faces, to no avail, and when the sound of a nearby chair scraping across the linoleum pulls me out of my head, I notice my hands are clammy with sweat beading at my temple.

I struggle to catch my breath and take my napkin to wipe away the wetness that has spilled over onto my cheek .

With only 14 chapters and each chapter at about 1k in size, it’s a quick and lovely read. So please, please (I’m not beyond begging) check it out! You won’t regret it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment