BellaLove72's Rec of the Week: 7/30-8/5

August 02, 2010

What Happens Tomorrow by birdee18
Review by Bellalove72

Rating: M
Genre: Romance/Angst
Characters: Bella/Edward

Summary: Bella and Edward are happily engaged with their whole lives ahead of them. What happens when a tragedy strikes that will change them forever? AU, all human.

Edward and Bella had it all…that picture perfect life that was headed right into the stuff of fairy tales and their happily ever after. They grew up together as their parents were best friends and they eventually started dating freshman year of high school. After reaching his goal of graduating from medical school, Edward proposed to Bella over Christmas. Of course she said yes and a July wedding was being planned.

Those of you that know me well enough, know that I don’t do fluff! Can’t do it. I need angst. I crave it. If there’s not some sort of heart wrenching conflict, I don’t read it. Ok, so maybe that’s not entirely true since I do read some fics without angst but as long as it’s not pure fluff and everyone is always so cheerful and happy. My point is, What Happens Tomorrow is NOT pure fluff. There is tragedy and heartache as Edward and Bella’s fairytale life takes a detour into a nightmare. And that kept my attention!

The detour of their perfect life happens the night of Edward and Bella’s engagement party where Edward falls ill. What happens to Edward leaves everyone in shock and confusion. And the road to recovery is long and painful. Not only does Edward have to deal with his physical recovery but the depression and panic attacks that come along with it. Everything in his life has to change. The career he worked so hard for, the life with Bella he looked so forward to…everything. But this tragedy doesn’t only affect Edward. It’s just as hard on Bella to have to watch him struggle. And between Bella and the rest of the Cullen’s they try to support Edward as best they can. But is it enough?

The relationship Edward has his family is very heartwarming. You can feel their hearts breaking as they all have to stand by and watch their son and brother crumble before them. They do their best to hold him up but you can only do so much. There is an additional family member also. Edward has a little sister, Elizabeth, who he calls ‘Bitt’. As a teenager, Bitt brings the family much needed comic relief but she also has to learn how to handle this family tragedy in her own way. It’s not easy for her to watch her big brother, her protector, have to struggle through his illness and recovery.

The way birdee18 has written this story makes me wonder if the plot wasn’t just something that she conjured up in her creative mind. The details and emotions that birdee18 has put into What Happens Tomorrow sound too personal for her to have just thought this up. This isn’t a typical ExB tale. They don’t start out in love, tragedy strikes; they overcome it and then finally get to their HEA. Life doesn’t happen that way. What Happens Tomorrow doesn’t either.

Banner by JaimeArkin


3 comments:

  1. Bridget said...:

    Thank you so much for the wonderful review of my story! WHT is my baby, and I'm glad to see that others love it as much as I do. Fortunately, I've never experienced anything like what Edward goes through. I truly think this story is a result of divine intervention. The plot came to me one day, and I had to start writing. I did do extensive research to make sure I got all the medical stuff correct. I wasn't going to do it if I couldn't do it right.

    Thanks again! You totally made my day!

    Bridget/birdee18

  1. Mary Beth said...:

    It is so nice to see my BFF, birdee18, recieve some much needed love. It is such a touching story and very emotional. Thank you for giving her this. Its much deserved.

    Mary Beth/EclipseoftheTwilightMoon

  1. bellalove72 said...:

    Sorry it's taken me so long to comment back. I'm really glad that you like my review. It's nerve wracking writing them and I can only hope I did it the justice it deserves!

    I'm glad you didn't have to go through that experience and quite frankly it makes me love the story even more because it shows just how talented you really are!

    Thank you so much for commenting on my review! Both of you!

Post a Comment