WIP of the Week: 8/22/11

August 22, 2011

Arms by VirginiaMay
Review by Obsmama
Rating: M
Genre: Drama/Romance
Characters: Edward/Bella

Summary: After witnessing the brutal murder of her parents, sharpshooter & former Olympian Bella Swan is forced to live under a new identity as a high school student in tiny Forks, WA. Will unexpected feelings for the wrong man be her undoing or her salvation? AH 

One evening on twitter, I was chatting fic with a few good friends and was told to check out Arms by VirginiaMay, that it was fantastic. That adjective just doesn’t do this story justice at all. I was mystified and intrigued with chapter 1 and  I was riveted and captivated every chapter thereafter. The mystery woven through this tale is amazingly well done and the UST from the start leaves the reader shaken. We meet Bella Swan, a 23 year old Olympic gold medalist sharp shooter, who witnessed her parents brutal murder and now is under the protection of the US Marshals, at least until she's able to take the stand against the perpetrators. The new life and identity she's given is foster child, Anna Bella Dwyer, to one Dr. and Mrs. Carlisle Cullen, who believe that she is a traumatized 17 year old girl. She has to return to High School and carry on this charade for her own protection. Enter her foster brother, now math teacher, Edward Cullen. Instantly there is a charge between them, but all that Edward knows is this is a student, a young girl hurt beyond repair, that came to live and be part of his family. Her secret preventing anything more from happening.

"Whoa now, hold on a second there," he stops me. "I'm not doing anything for my mother's sake here, Bella. I'm your teacher. It's my job to care about how you're doing. In school and otherwise. Not to mention, I have a dozen or so years of life experience on you. If you're struggling, let me help. Let me do my job."

I snort and then scowl at him, reacting on hurt feelings and indignation alone.

"Look, your job is to teach me math," I snap. "Even if it was more than just that, I don't need anyone trying to help me out of some ridiculous sense of obligation."
 
"Obligation?" he asks, eyes flashing and voice rising. He looks offended. So much so I think he's going to yell but, with a quick swallow that makes his Adam's apple bob, he regains his composure. "Perhaps we ought to finish this conversation another time, young lady. I only want to help you. I have no interest in arguing with you." 

I roll my eyes at him. "Don't dismiss me like I'm a child. You don't know anything about me."

"Anna Bella-" 

I ignore him and turn to leave his classroom in a huff. Pathetically, I forget that there's a desk right behind me and almost fall on my face while attempting to escape. Mr. Cullen's hands reach out and steady me. 

"Easy," he murmurs. "Don't hurt yourself." 

I pause only for a moment while his long fingers remain around my waist. He lets go immediately, but not soon enough to avoid my heart fluttering wildly again. I can also feel the heat of his warm chest against my back now. Unbidden, my mind decides that I'd really like to lean backwards and have him wrap me in his arms. Instead, I shake off my insane thoughts and fly out of the classroom as fast as I can.  

There is such a wonderful use of canon characters in this story. I especially fell in love with Agent Whitlock, who is placed in Forks as Bella’s protection and only friend at first. The author has a way with describing such in depth emotion and imagery that puts you in Bella’s shoes. You feel her desperation and fight against loving these new people in her life that are offering such a connection. As the story progresses, Bella’s secrets are harder and harder to hide from her new family, especially Edward. After a Friday afternoon at the movies, more then just her name is revealed to him, putting them all in danger, but lifting a taboo.  

"For the love of God, please..." Edward begs, his eyes wild, his touch setting me alight. I can deny him no longer. 

"It's me." 

His whole body sags. "It's you?" he gasps. "It's true?" 

I nod and he lowers his forehead against mine. "Isabella." 

I smile and lift my hand to cover his where it rests against my cheek. "You can still call me Bella. I'm never Isabella unless I'm being reprimanded, or paying taxes." 

He chuckles and lifts his other hand so that he's holding my face. Our noses touch together and I think he's going to kiss me, but he hesitates. 

"I need you to tell me one thing more, Bella Swan." 

"What?" I ask immediately. 

"Tell me you're not seventeen." 

I laugh and shake my head. "I haven't been seventeen in six years, Edward." 

He pulls me closer and what was left of my laughter dies in my throat. "

That's all I needed to hear." 

We are 8 chapters in so far and there is so much left to discover and watch as these characters start on what I’m sure will be quite a ride. Join me?

0 comments:

Post a Comment