Completed Fic of the Week: 4/24/12

April 25, 2012

Summerboy by Little Miss Mionie
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6666188/1/Summerboy 
Review by AnonymouslySufferingFromOCD

Rating: M
 Genre: Romance/Hurt/Comfort
Characters: Edward & Bella

Summary: Every summer, Edward was Bella's secret escape from wintry Forks. Her worlds collide after "the incident" occurs, and Bella can't hide from the whispers at school saying she deserved what happened. AH, Edward/Bella 

Bella Swan is the typical snarky popular girl at Forks High School. Her and her friends rule the school. After Bella’s mom, Renee, leaves when she is three, she grows up around the kids in her area and knows what her place is, people look up to her and her friends and Bella loves that about her life. Every summer Bella goes to visit Renee in Florida where they vacation at a RV park, and where Bella has a fling with her Summerboy each and every year.

During her junior year, Bella is sexually assaulted by someone who she trusts and she has a hard time moving past it. She only speaks about the incident to a couple of people, her mom, her dad, and, of course, her friends. After her friends share Bella’s story with the entire school she becomes the outcast, most people thinks she got what she deserved due to her blatantly promiscuous ways. That summer she decides confide in Edward and he helps her to forget about what happened to her, at least while she is with him.

The beginning of Bella’s senior year leaves her in an awkward place, she is still upset by what happened to her, and that her friends felt that they should share her life with the rest of the school, but she needs them because she has no one else, she has alienated everyone most of her life. Plus she faces the fact that Florida Bella Swan and Forks Bella Swan’s lives have collided and it may be difficult to find the balance that she needs.

The furious torrent of rain is the soundtrack for my drive to school. I check my make up in my rear-view mirror as I start the engine of my old, faithful Chevy. It looks Bella-Swan-Forks appropriate, I suppose. My Maybelline concealer has done a great job covering up the remnants of the dark corners and large, spindly fingers playing with the thin straps of my white t-shirt that plagued my nightmares. I desperately want to take all of my make up off and go soak up the sun in Florida. 

Edward Cullen is Bella’s Summerboy. He is always there for her and while Bella tries to say that she doesn’t have true feelings for him, deep down Edward knows she loves him as much as he loves her. Relocating to Forks from Florida his senior year, Bella doesn’t give him the warm welcome that Edward expects, instead he learns quickly that the Bella he has grown to love each year in Florida is a completely different person in Forks; or at least she tries to be.

My throat feels dry, and my words stumble over my tongue. Edward waits patiently with an amused expression. As I speak, the amusement slips into concern. 

"I can't deal with this…you…right now," I explain worriedly. "I haven't even dealt with the incident properly – which Charlie keeps reminding me of. He's been hinting that I should see a shrink." 

Edward interrupts me before I can finish. "The nightmares are still as bad as they were on vacation?" 

His question distracts me as memories of waking up in the dark, sweating, to find Edward's strong arms cradling me, infiltrate my mind. 

I nod my head a little, embarrassed by his concern. I don't like showing my weakness like that – and he had been privy to all of it. I continue to talk for fear if I don't get it out now, I never will. 

"You moving here out of the blue just blew me away," I admit slowly. "I don't know what to think. I don't even know who I'm meant to be here anymore. I feel like the same sad girl from last summer." 

Edward looks even more concerned by this. "Bella — " he starts again in a low voice. 

I can hear the pleading tone in my voice. "Can we just pretend that we don't screw around every vacation? That we don't know each other?" 

"Screw around?" Edward's eyes narrow. I think I've hurt him. "Is that what we do?" 

It takes some time for Bella to let Edward tear down her walls. He has to break through the snark and help her work through her issues. Bella doesn’t make it easy that is for sure. On top of it all they have to deal with typical high school drama, plus overcome what has happened to Bella. Of course, this is Edward and Bella so you can’t help but root for them through it all. If you like some drama and you don’t mind high school fics, I think you will really enjoy this one.

0 comments:

Post a Comment