Completed Fic of the Week: 2/20/12

February 22, 2012

How Can I Help You? by Sugunary
Review by AnonymouslySufferingFromOCD

Rating: M
Genre: Romance/Drama
Characters: Edward/Bella

Summary: After years away, Bella Swan returns to a place she thought she left behind, and someone she wasn't sure wanted to see her, ever again. A story of how your life can change when you least expect it. AH, B/E, Em/R, A/J Not a cheating fic.

This week’s completed fic brings us a plot line that is similar in some ways, but different from others that I have read at the same time. It is dubbed a Romance/Drama and let me tell you that it has a lot of both.

The story starts off with Bella going home with her son after deciding that her marriage to Jacob just isn’t going to work out. Home, of course, is in Forks, and she is going to stay with Charlie for a few weeks until she can find something for herself and her son, Riley. Once she’s there, Bella has to face a past that has hurt her immensely in order to have the future that she was always meant to have.

Edward Cullen was Bella’s first crush; of course, at the time she was crushing on him, she was working for his wife, Tanya. Bella worked at her clothing store in town, and also babysat for Edward and Tanya’s girls, Kate and Irina, whenever she was needed. Tanya and Bella shared a great friendship and Bella went to Tanya for a lot of things to help her get through her teenage years.

Breaking eye contact, I noticed the eyes belonged to the most beautiful face. "I'm Edward, Edward Cullen." Oh God, kill me now, I was checking out my boss's husband. I was blushing ten shades of red by the time my mouth decided to work. "Hi, Mr. Cullen, I'm Bella Swan. It's nice to finally meet you, Tanya has told me and Angela all about you." She did forget to say he was a God, though. Stop thinking about that Bella. He's going to think you are mental. 

"Good to meet you, Bella. Is Tanya in the back?" 

"No, she just stepped…" 

"Eddie! You made it!" I had to smile at Tanya's enthusiasm. She sounded like one of the cheerleaders at school. Edward swept her into his arms and gave her one of those movie love story kisses. I turned away to give them some privacy. 

"Go Tanya" I heard Angela call from the back. Tanya pulled away from her husband, laughing over at the two of us. "Girls, this is my husband, Edward. Honey these are the two girls I told you about, Bella Swan and Angela Weber." 

During her senior year of high school, tragedy struck the Cullen family and Edward loses his wife, the girls lose their mother, and Bella loses someone who had become like an older sister to her. Despite her own pain over losing Tanya, Bella helps Edward and the girls get back on their feet by becoming their nanny for a short time before going off to college.

 As the story continues, it takes us through ten years of ups and downs and twists and turns that finally bring Edward and Bella back together the way they were meant to be. Sugunary really does an excellent job bringing us back to the present when the past becomes almost too much for, not only Bella, but for us to bear.

I took a deep breath, trying to gather my courage to confess all of my mistakes to my father. 

"Dad, have you noticed anything strange about Riley?" 

Charlie gave me a concerned look. "What? What do you mean strange? He's a perfect little boy, Bella. Riley has your hair, your cute button nose, he's always happy and smiling, and he has your mother's green eyes." His eyes watered after mentioning Mom. 

I took his hand and squeezed it. "Riley is perfect and I love him so much, but I see a lot of his father in him."

Charlie laughed at that comment. "Maybe it's in his personality, but there's not much of a resemblance to Jacob, baby girl. I do see a lot of you though." 

This is what I had been so scared to do. I took a steadying breath and forced myself to say it slowly. 

"Dad, Riley is not Jake's son." 

Silence 

I really think you will love the flow and plot line of this story. It held my attention and it also threw me for a loop. I was very glad that I read it. Remember, this isn’t a cheating fic and it does jump time lines frequently, but honestly the way we get to watch the characters grow and mature is amazing.

0 comments:

Post a Comment