Completed Fic of the Week: 4/4 - 4/10

April 05, 2011

Bloodlust by kalejay
Review by anonymouslysufferingfromOCD

Rating: M
Genre: Angst/Drama
Characters: Edward/Bella

Summary: A teenage boy stumbles onto Edward's eradication of Victoria, witnessing more than a human should know. Jane forces Edward to kill the boy, and in doing so, his desire for human blood is awakened and becomes nearly impossible to control. COMPLETE.

We have all read alternative endings to all of our favorite Twilight Saga books but I can honestly say this one is unlike anything else I have ever read.

Bloodlust by kalejay is set right at the end of the fight scene in Eclipse. After the Volturi leave the clearing, Edward hears Ethan, a human teenager’s thoughts, and realizes that he saw the entire fight with Victoria. Because the Volturi are still in the area Edward goes to intercept him before they can sense him, not realizing that the Volturi have spies that he doesn’t know about, Jane, and the rest of the Volturi find him with the boy. After torturing Edward, Jane gives him a choice, he can either kill Ethan or she will kill Bella. Of course there is no choice in Edward’s mind and while he knows that it is wrong he does what he has to do to protect Bella and kills Ethan.

Jane looked bored and uninterested in hearing what I had to say. "I've been generous enough. The boy dies or Bella does," Jane concluded, coming to a stand-still in front of me.

Before either Ethan or I could realize it, my teeth sank deep into the side of his throat. He didn't even scream. My jaw clenched tightly as his hot blood washed over my tongue. By now my venom was working its way through his body, but it could never serve its purpose. Ethan had to die. I relaxed my jaw slightly and pulled my face away from his. His body went limp in my arms and I dropped to my knees with him still in my grasp.

Edward understands that he did what he had to do to save the love of his life, but emotionally getting over it he knows that it won’t be easy. He also isn’t sure that Bella will forgive him for what he has done and he runs into a problem he didn’t anticipate. Although Edward doesn't drink Ethan’s blood, he does taste it and that is enough to realize his greatest fear, unleashing his inner monster.

I am not big on stories with angst in the genre line usually, I hate angst for angst’s sake, but I have to say the angst that we see in this story is necessary and well placed. Edward has a lot to deal with and Bella really has to stay stronger than ever. Alice and Jasper are there to help but even our favorite pixie has a hard time dealing with what Edward is facing. Her visions are changing constantly as Edward battle’s his demons and the extra pressure that it is putting on Jasper causes Alice to just need some time.

"Ali, you can stop worrying so much about me. I'm doing alright," he crooned, then kissed me a second time.
Even though Edward had been doing much better recently, I couldn't shake my concerns about how it was affecting Jasper. And naturally, he picked up on that.

I spun around to look at him. "You need a break," I stated matter-of-factly, looking up into his honey-golden gaze. "And tomorrow is the perfect time to take one. Bella will be gone for most of the day so there's really no reason to babysit Edward."

There is even a part of this story that our usually cool, calm and collected Alice loses her cool and lashes out at Bella causing some turmoil that doesn’t have anything to do with clothes between Alice and Bella.

Throughout this story you are able to feel the emotional turmoil that everyone involved is facing, you understand the struggle that plagues our favorite couple, especially Edward. Edward works to overcome his newly awakened lust for human blood and how it affects his and Bella's relationship but will he be able to tame the monster within, or will he allow the monster to ruin his relationship with Bella for good?

If you are looking for something different that is a quick 19 chapters this one is for you, it is well written and kalejay really does a great job keeping you hooked throughout the entire story.

1 comments:

  1. Anonymous said...:

    Kalejay writes descriptions like no-one's business. One of the things I loved most about this story, was her ability to draw me into the action by making me hear, see, feel, and smell the things she wrote about so vividly.

Post a Comment