Submitted Fic of the Week: 11/21/11

November 24, 2011
Swim Tadpole, Swim
Review by AnonymouslySufferingFromOCD

Rating: M
Genre: Romance/Angst
Characters: Edward & Bella

Summary: AU/AH EPOV Lemons/adult themes. "Grasp your partner's hips. Push deep with your thumbs," the teacher announces... I don't know what came over me but my lips were at her mercy the moment they touched hers. Why am I so mesmerized by this older woman?

Swim Tadpole, Swim, is the type of story that really has it all. It’s catergorized as Romance/Angst, and there is plenty of both throughout the story. However, there is also a fair amount of humor and smut to help balance it all out. The story begins with a twenty-one year old college student, Edward, lusting after a thirty-six year old, divorced, single mother Bella. It isn’t that he can’t get whoever he wants, because let’s face it, we know he can, but Edward, wise beyond his years and lacking the patience for women his own age has his heart set on Bella. He doesn’t know what he is getting himself into when he follows her to her yoga class and signs himself up.

She's looking at me; eyes tracing me up and down and she's acting like she's not interested but I know differently. She kissed me back when I practically assaulted her in the hallway here at the gym last week. I was feeling brave and she said she was having a bad day. I don't know what came over me but my lips were at her mercy the moment they touched hers. Why am I so mesmerized by this older woman? There are plenty of girls at school who are interested in me but they don't seem to hold my attention like she does. I don't follow any other women around like I do with her. She fascinates me. I watch her enter her favorite coffee shop in the morning, I watch her enter her office with her shades on and I envy every client that goes in there and has her hands on them. I don't care if she's sticking needles in them; if she's touching them then they're lucky sons of bitches. 

Bella, an acupuncturist/masso-therapist has some issues. She is still on relatively good terms with her ex-husband, Jacob Black. Of course that is because they still have sex regularly and Jacob, who cheated on Bella has verbally insulted her so much throughout her life that she believes everything he has ever said about her. She has horrible self-esteem issues, giving her a massive fear of commitment because she is convinced that if she doesn’t commit to anyone she can always have the upper hand. Bella doesn’t let her self-esteem issues ruin her though, most people see her as a confidant, sexy, and snarky bitch.

Bella falls hard for our favorite fictional character but she is afraid of her feelings, she tries to push him away and does succeed for a small period of time. Edward really has his work cut out for him in this story. He not only has to convince Bella that it is possible for a twenty-one year old to be irrevocably in love with a thirty-six year old, but he also has to convince her that he can be a worthy step-father to her daughter as well as a father to any other children they may decide to have. He also has to learn to understand her holistic life-style.

As always, Edward is good at everything he puts his mind to, and he takes to being a pseudo stepfather with his usual grace.

"Mommy! Mommy!" Cori's yelling in her bed for Bella and has woken me up out of a very deep sleep. Bella doesn't stir, doesn't move. I roll out from under her, slip into my boxers, my pajama bottoms and a tee shirt. I drag my feet out into the hallway and straight into Cori's room. She's crying and scared. 

"Did you have a bad dream?" I ask as I rub the sleep out of my eyes. I can barely think straight. 

"You left! You left me daddy!" 

"Shhhh, I'm here," I say as I pat her hand. She's completely out of it and thinks I'm Jake.

"I need snuggles." She whimpers. 

Snuggles? Does she mean – 

She clambers out of bed and jumps up into my arms. She wraps herself around me and cries into my neck.

I pat her back and rock her back and forth. 

"It's okay. We're still here." 

"Don't leave!" she whines as she clings even tighter. She's practically choking me. 

As I said earlier, Scarlettplay has done a great job with this story it really has a little bit of everything and I know that you will enjoy it as much as I have. Although I will warn you that it does end rather abruptly. However that is only because it is the first in what looks like will be a three story saga. The second story, Drifting in the Brine, is also complete. The third story only has one chapter posted and I am hoping if you all go out and read and review the first two, we may be able to convince Scarlettplay to write a little faster!

0 comments:

Post a Comment