Completed Fic of the Week: 1/30/12

January 31, 2012

Endings & Beginnings by JadedLadies
Review by AnonymouslySufferingFromOCD

Rating: M
Genre: Romance/Drama
Characters: Edward & Bella

Summary: Some people say the third time's the charm. Can Edward and Bella find their way back to each other or does fate have other plans? AH **COMPLETE**

Endings and Beginnings is a collab piece. Jadsmama and ladyshark1 team up and really write an amazing story together. The story is similar to one we have all read before. Edward and Bella are high school sweethearts and break up when Edward heads off to college so he can spread his wings. While Bella is devastated, she doesn’t begrudge him his freedom and they remain friends. The difference with this one is that while they do find their way back to one another, there are mitigating circumstances that intervene and cause them to lose each other once again. The question remains, is the third time the charm?

I liked this story for a lot of reasons, it is dubbed a romance/drama, and it is true to form. There is sadness and I cried, but it wasn’t angsty, it wasn’t cold, and it wasn’t calculating in the way some stories can be.

JadedLadies did a great job of starting the story with Edward and Bella together in some sense of the word and keeping them that way. Even though they lose each other throughout the story, we don’t have to read about the long periods of time they are apart. Instead, we get well placed flashbacks and time jumps that make us not want to put the story down for any real amount of time. They keep us wanting more and as we all know, that makes for a great story.

After Bella and Edward go their separate ways when Edward heads off to college, Bella does her best to move on while Edward does his best to sew his wild oats with big brother Emmett encouraging him along the way. Bella meets Jacob while in college and they hit it off, Jacob learns to live with the fact that Edward will always be a part of Bella’s life. Jacob believes that Edward and Bella are completely over one another and that the love he has for Bella is a mutual and strong love. Edward and Jacob manage to become best friends and Edward is best man at Jacob and Bella’s wedding. Now don’t get discouraged, this story is a Bella/Edward story and while Jacob is mentioned we don’t have a whole lot of Jacob interactions.

My phone call with Jake had not gone as I had expected. He was not calling to threaten to kick my ass for sleeping with his wife or even to let me know that he knew about what had happened between us. He called to tell me that Charlie had been shot and wasn't doing so well. 

Jake needed me to pick Bella up and drive her to Forks as fast as I could, and that he knew I was the person Bella would want to comfort her. Not only was I sickened about Charlie's condition, but I was shocked that it had seemed Jake actually realized the comfort Bella and I gave each other, versus the comfort he knew Alice couldn't give her.

I did not have time to say much to him while we were on the phone. I felt uneasy from what lingered over our heads and he didn't even have a clue about it. I just promised to get to her there quickly and did just that. 

Bella was completely hysterical when I walked into their house. She was not dressed when I had arrived, still in her shirt and panties from the night before. I packed a bag for both her and Jake, and then helped her get dressed. It felt like such an intimate moment between us, I could feel how much she needed me. My touch alone was enough to calm her. 

As you can see from the above snippet, after Bella and Jacob are married for a few years Edward and Bella realize they can no longer fight their feelings for one another and give into temptation. Unfortunately, they have a major tragedy to deal with right after they betray Jacob. This is the catalyst that drives them apart once again. It isn’t for several years that they find one another again, but remember there are clever time jumps and flashbacks that explain everything so we don’t have a lot of time without them being together in once capacity or another.

Sometimes I find collab stories difficult to read or follow, but JadedLadies really worked out a great way to collaborate and build strong character dynamics that flow together seamlessly. I am thoroughly impressed with this story. It is written well and we hear a lot from both characters. We feel their emotions as they feel them and we fall in love with them and want to smack them all at the same time. I think this is one that everyone should read and review and I think I will be reading it again in the near future. Anyone that knows me, knows that if I am willing to re-read the story it has definitely wormed its way into my heart. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did and don’t forget to review.

0 comments:

Post a Comment