Completed Fic of the Week: 6/18/12

June 22, 2012

Angels We Are Not by Gnomea
Review by AnonymouslySufferingFromOCD

Rating: M
Genre: Drama/Hurt/Comfort
Characters: Edward & Bella

Summary: AH. OOC. He was here in this situation he was most afraid of. The one thing he was scared would happen to them. It was the beginning of the end of their story. ExB

I have read a lot of completed stories in the fandom, and it makes me sad when the short stories are so neglected. Now don’t get me wrong, I love to sit down with a great, long, completed story as much as the next person; however when a story is good, it deserves as much support as the next, even if it is only fourteen thousand words.

With that being said, this week our Completed Fic of the Week is a short one, just fourteen thousand words and eight chapters long. Don’t judge this one by its cover though, those fourteen thousand words really do say a lot.

 In Angel’s We Are Not, Edward is very much in love with his Bella, and his Bella is very much in love with him. Unfortunately, sometimes love isn’t enough and Edward let’s his family and job dictate what he should do in his life.

Edward has had to fill some very large shoes in his life. His father died in a car crash where Edward was driving and even though his mother has never outright blamed him, she chooses to make him feel guilty about her loss and has put all of her grief into dictating Edward’s life. Edward being a good son, who is running the family business, doesn’t want to disappoint his mother and therefore he unfortunately chooses her over Bella more often than not.

Upon finding out that Bella is pregnant, Edward says some extremely hurtful things, making Bella the strongest woman in the word. No longer wanting to feel like she’s complicating his life, she decides to make Edward’s choices easy by leaving him.

"Do you love me?" she asked after a few minutes of silence. She suddenly shifted in my arms so I was facing her as she waited, her eyes were full of anticipation. 

"Yes, Bella," I poured my heart into my words, wanting more than anything for her to believe me at that moment. "I love you so fucking much, it hurts." 

She sighed, maybe in relief. I wished it was because she wanted to hear me say those words to her. Her eyes shined with unshed tears. "If you really love me the way you say, then you go now," she said softly, but the confidence lacing her words was undeniable. "Leave me alone now. Please." 

I knew my time was up. I took a deep breath, flooding my nose with her scent, locking it to memory. I reluctantly released my arms from around her with a heavy heart, and left her alone. 

As I passed the living room, my eyes landed on the divorce papers I had brought earlier. They were lying on top of the coffee table conspicuously. I knew then what I could give her to make it all better for her. 

I signed the papers, releasing her from our legal bond. Somehow, even as my heart was shattering into a million pieces, I felt I had done this one good thing for her by finally freeing her from me. 

Bella isn’t only the strongest woman in the world but the smartest one as well. While Edward is lost without her; she takes the opportunity to make him see the things that are really important in life, which eventually paves the way for them to have the fresh start that they need and deserve.

"I had to leave because I didn't want to one day hate you because of my love for you. I couldn't risk it." Her eyes were shining with unshed tears. "I even divorced you because of it." 

I was just nodding, trying to block the anger and pain flowing through me. 

"The main reason for the divorce was because I wanted a fresh start." It was understandable that she did want that. That was why she had to remove my name with hers legally. So she could start anew. 

She was staring at me intently, searching my face for something. Her eyes flickered with some emotion I couldn't decipher as she continued to hold my gaze. 

"A fresh start is good," I said softly, interrupting the silence that was surrounding us. 

"I want a fresh start with you, Edward." My heart almost jumped out of my chest. She had said the words I wanted to say, but was so afraid to say. "That was why I came here. I came to fetch you, darling." 

Now, I’ve read stories like this before, but I find this one refreshingly different. Maybe it’s because the story is told from Edward’s point of view, or maybe it’s because even though it is Edward telling the story you still see and feel how Bella is so strong, you feel her strength. I’m not sure really, but honestly it really is a great, albeit short story that I know you will all love too.

0 comments:

Post a Comment