WIP of the Week: 3/12/12

March 12, 2012

The Search by Amber1983
Review by Dragonfly336
 
Rating: M
Genre: Romance/Drama
Characters: Edward & Bella

Summary: When Bella Swan flees to London to escape her painful and humiliating past she doesn't expect her charismatic new boss to be quite so interested in her secrets... AH. Britishward. Rated M for language and lemons.

When I started reading The Search by Amber1983, I was skeptical. Firstly, I am not a big fan of Britishward’s. Secondly, I am also not huge on office romance stories. Lastly, I have been having a bit of fic ADD lately. I keep starting stories, but nothing is really pulling me in and grabbing my attention. Let me just say that I was pleasantly surprised with this story!

The first few paragraphs caught my attention and wanted me to know what happened in Bella’s life that had her staying away from Forks.

During ancient times villagers armed with pitchforks and fire drove suspected witches out of their small towns. It turns out all it takes in 21st century rural Washington is vicious gossip and dirty looks. Six months ago I left Forks and vowed that only a natural disaster or a death could pull me back. I just didn't expect the latter to happen so quickly. And now I'm returning for the second time in as many weeks. 

My old truck rumbles towards my destination and I marvel at how it has made the journey from Seattle once again unscathed. After all, I don't have my own personal mechanic at home anymore. 

The Welcome to Forks sign catches my eye and I almost laugh at just how unwelcome it makes me feel. Population 3120, it proclaims, but all that means to me is 3120 people who all know my deepest secret. Three thousand one hundred and twenty people whose eyes seem unable to break away from the back of my head, whose whispered insults reach my ears in stereo and whose disdain at my 'abandoning' their Golden Boy I can almost taste on my tongue; 3120 people who know I'm a freak. 

Bella is fleeing a recent past and obvious scandal, though we are not sure what happened. Charlie’s death and funeral are what brings Bella back to her hometown, where we learn that Jake is the ‘Golden Boy’ she was referring to and that they were married. It also appears that the ending of the marriage was one-sided on Bella’s part. Although I am halfway through the posted fifteen chapters, we still haven’t found out what happens. The reader gets little hints here and there, but I haven’t quite figured it out yet. I am a fan of this kind of reveal because it keeps my brain going.

Bella has accepted a transfer in her company to the London offices, which is where our Bristishward comes in. Let me explain a little of my disdain for this particular –ward. I often feel that it is overdone, with Bristish slang thrown in every other sentence, and often having the American characters speaking with British slang. But this is not the case in this story. There is a perfect balance and it is actually quite educational, describing the area she lives and how she takes the ‘tube’ to work and how the weather is. It is almost like Amber1983 is an American being in England for the first time, but she is, in fact, from the UK.

So, in comes Edward, quintessential ladies man and workaholic. Bella is going to replace the ever efficient Kate, as Edward’s PA. Bella gets an earful from other employees about Edward’s habits, but decides to make her own judgment. After a week of barking orders, he leaves at the same time as Bella and offers to walk her to the tube. They discover they live in the same area and sit together on the way home. Edward apologizes for his behavior during the week and they have a pleasant conversation. He invites her for a drink before they go home, which she accepts. They have a great time, until the end of the evening.

I freeze. He moves his head alongside mine and grazes my cheek with his lips. Soft. Warm. Perfect. 

"Goodnight, Bella Swan." He whispers. 

I expect him to move back but instead he lowers his head and finds the exposed skin of my throat. He presses his lips to my pulse and I forget how to breathe, how to move, how to speak. Back and forth he brushes his mouth across my skin until I'm sure the trembling in my mind must show in my body too. 

Apparently taking my lack of speech and movement as encouragement he moves to face me, barely a breath between us. His other hand gently falls to my waist, effectively blocking me in against the door. I can hear his slightly laboured breaths. 

I can feel his eyes on my face, willing me to look up and meet his but I'm afraid if I do I will be lost. 

"Bella," he murmurs, bringing his hand to my cheek. 

I finally meet his gaze and it's as if he is looking into my soul. He leans his face even closer and I suddenly feel exposed, cold, wide open and afraid. 

"No." I whisper, putting my hands on his shoulders and pushing him back. He retreats, looking hurt...and drunk. 

I really like this Bella; she stands her ground even though she is incredibly attracted to him. Edward also has admirable qualities, like apologizing to her the next day on his behavior instead of letting it fester, like some Edwards tend to do! We also learn that something has happened in Edward’s life that is the reason for his many one-night stands with women, but we don’t know what that is yet either. The secondary characters also have interesting backgrounds, such as Jasper, who is in a rocky marriage with Maria.

Please go give this story a shot! You won’t regret it!! I can’t wait to finish the posted chapters and then patiently wait for updates!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment