Completed Fic of the Week: 3/12/12

March 14, 2012

Nineteen Canvasses by Cars1
Reviewed by AnonymouslySufferingFromOCD

Rating: M
Genre: Romance/Drama
Characters: Edward & Bella

Summary: Bella thinks she finally has it all together after a life altering accident, but when she meets Edward, a once successful artist who has lost his inspiration, everything she thought she knew changes. All Human. Rated M for a very good reason.

This week’s story really impressed me. We have all read Artistward stories; after all, it is a great character for Edward and let’s face it, being a brooding artist is so not a stretch for him. However, what we haven’t read a lot of, in fact I don’t recall ever reading, is a story about an amputee Bella.

In this story, Edward is the brooding artist who lost his muse when his live-in girlfriend, a college professor, decided to give some extra credit to one of her students at home in their bed. This sends Edward off the deep end where he can’t paint and he drowns his sorrows in a new woman every night. This is a behavior Edward is familiar with as it is the exact same way his father reacted when he lost Edward’s mother to cancer.

Edward has really lost his way and finally finds a reason to make some changes to his life when he meets up with his friend Emmett for a drink and to meet Emmett’s good friend Bella.

"Don't leave, please?" He sounds sincere, but I know better. 

"There's really no point in me staying," I answer truthfully. 

Some sort of panicked look comes over his face as he moves his hand up my arm. "Dance with me," he demands as he starts to pull on my arm. I yank it back from him forcefully. 

"I don't dance." 

"What do you mean you don't dance? Everyone dances," he says smugly. Oh he's so full of himself, so cocky and oozing with sex appeal. I'm sure women drop their pants in a nanosecond within this mans presence. 

I narrow my eyes at him. "Not everyone dances." 

"What, have you got a broken leg or something?" He laughs. 

I let out a huff at him and shake my head. "Or something." 

Bella, who was on her college’s ski team, suffered a horrible accident while training for an upcoming race. The accident caused her to lose her leg from her knee down. She has had a hard time opening up to people because of her injury and doesn’t trust easily. Her friends try to fix her up, but never tell the guy that she is an amputee, which as you can imagine, tends to shock them a little.

"Oh, thank the Lord." She grabs it and takes a sip. "How was the rest of your night?" She looks at me with concern. 

"It was fine. Went straight to bed. You know, the usual," I say, sitting down in her overstuffed leather chair in the corner. 

"What did he say to you last night? I went to try to find you, but you were already gone." 

"Nothing. He didn't say anything. He didn't have to Rose. And why didn't you warn me Emmett was up to no good?" 

"Don't be mad at Em. He's just trying to help," she says sincerely. I know she's right, that doesn't mean I have to like it. 

"I know he is, but come on, Rose. Someone like Edward is not going to be interested in me." 

These two do things the hard way from the very beginning but they really come to understand that doing things together is better than doing them apart.

The story is well written and there isn’t a lot of angst, which you know is something I don’t deal well with. Cars1 really does a great job of making sure that there is a perfect mix of drama throughout the story to keep you interested, while also giving you enough of the other elements we all love in a good fic to add to the desire to keep reading and not stopping until you’ve read it all.

Nineteen Canvasses has been completed for a while and it truly deserves to have more recognition. I hope you give this one a try, I am sure you will like it as much as I do.

0 comments:

Post a Comment