JasperLuver48's Rec of the Week: 11/28/11

November 28, 2011

His Grandfather's Watch by owenic
Review by JasperLuver48

Rating: M
Genre: Hurt/Comfort
Characters: Edward & Jasper

Summary: It was just another day at Cullen Antiquities for Edward, until Jasper walked in with a watch. "It was my grandfathers. I was hoping you could tell me something about it." Rated M. E&J Slash.

His Grandfather’s Watch by Owenic is one of the most beautifully told stories I’ve ever read and has quickly made its way to the top of my favorites list. It’s a short story, told in only six chapters and one outtake, but don’t for one second believe that just because it’s short that Owenic doesn’t have a full and amazing story to tell.

Jasper Whitlock has an old pocket watch that belonged to his grandfather and he’s trying to find out as much information about it as possible. He brings it to Cullen Antiquities where he is led to Edward, an expert in old clocks. He asks Edward to take a look at it and tell him anything he might be able to find out.

Edward finds a photograph in the back casing of the watch and calls Jasper immediately. They determine that one of the men is his grandfather who is in an embrace with a man that is clearly that of a lover. This is when Jasper decides to ask his grandmother about the photograph, but is scared.

You see, Jasper’s grandmother has dementia, a disease that deteriorates the mind and causes you to lose touch with reality at times. Edward offers to help Jasper get the answers he wants because Jasper is alone in his search.

In the following days, Jasper and Edward make a connection with each other and it leads to something special. The more Edward finds out about Jasper, the more he wants to be there for him and comfort him in ways that Jasper obviously needs but has a hard time showing it.

They get some information out of his grandmother and go on a search through old photographs and such to find their answers.

Then there is the outtake. I will warn you ahead of time that you are going to need tissues for this outtake because it’s heartbreaking in parts yet one of the most brilliantly written pieces of writing I’ve ever read. It’s the story of Hale Whitlock, Jasper’s grandfather, and the love of his life, Billy.

I absolutely can’t not express to you in words how much I love this story and how heartwarming it is, yet so sad and full of questions that Jasper needs to have answered in order to really understand who he is.

Now, let’s take a moment to let me fangirl over Owenic because I swear to you she is one of the best fan fic writers I’ve ever encountered and that’s saying something because believe me, I read a lot. It started off when I read a review of one of her other stories, Sixty Five Hours, written by the girls of the Perv Pack’s Smut Shack and I couldn’t pass it up, they made it sound far too amazing but in reality they were being completely truthful. Every story I’ve ever read by this amazing author has grabbed my attention in the first few paragraphs and held it tight until the end.

There’s something so special about her writing style and the way she tells a story. The descriptions, the characters, the overall plot line are all weaved together so intricately that even if you wanted to stop, you probably couldn’t. (But I assure you, you won’t want to!)

I can’t say enough good things about this story. To sum it all up, if you want to read something sweet and to the point about a boy who needed some help understanding some things from his past and in the end finds more than he ever could have hoped for, His Grandfather’s Watch is the story for you.

0 comments:

Post a Comment