Completed Fic of the Week: 2/14-2/20

February 15, 2011

Southern Cross by MellieB40
Review by ImwithPattz

Rating: M
Genre: Romance/Angst
Characters: Edward/Bella

Summary: When Bella Swan meets Edward Cullen, the new culinary intern on her family's yacht, sparks fly. They spend a passionate summer together but what will happen after? Can two lovers from different worlds make their relationship work? ExB canon AH lemons

I have to admit that I had never heard of this story until IndieFicPimp asked me to review it. I consider myself a diehard Fan Fiction reader. I have literally read hundreds. I will also admit that I groaned to myself a bit when I read the summary. Your typical rich girl meets poor boy from wrong side of tracks. The summary may be typical but this story is not. It is truly a beautiful love story with two very strong characters.

Southern Cross starts off when Edward Cullen takes a job on the boat “Twilight” as a culinary intern. Bella’s family owns the Yacht and she is taking a month off to sail after she graduates from Harvard. He is a self-professed ladies man and makes no apologies for it.

My name is Edward Cullen, of the Southie Cullens. Now that's a fucking laugh. I grew up in Quincy, Massachusetts, though where all good Irish families from Southie move when they make enough money to get out of the city. If your Pop isn't too much of a drunk and somehow makes it real big, you might end up in Hingham or Norwell. We only made it as far as Quincy.

I am not, however, complaining about my life. As far as they go, mine was pretty much average. My folks were both decent people. They tried to be good parents to my brother and me. I got some killer good looks from them too. I am tall and muscular with bright green eyes and messy brown hair. Girls love my hair. I never have any problems getting girls. They dig my smirky smile and all around bad boy persona.

Everyone loves a bad boy, right? Well this Edward is the quintessential bad boy from the wrong side of the tracks. Isabella is not, however, your typical rich girl. She is a smart, Harvard educated and bold. She knows she wants Edward from the very beginning and lets him know it. He is at first hesitant, as Rule #1 in his job has been to stay away from Bella and her friend Alice, who is sailing the yacht with her. He is immediately warned by the deck hand on the "Twilight," Jasper Whitlock.

"Listen, Cullen," Jasper said to me when they left, "I don't know what happened last night at dinner, but Bella is off limits. Mr. Swan would have us all fired if one of us hooked up with her. So find someone else to flirt with, okay?" He was deathly serious.

"I swear I didn't do anything. Alice kept flirting and trying to egg me on," I said nervously. "I didn't want to be rude."

"I understand. Just be careful tonight. You'll technically be working so no drinking. Just watch out for them and try to stay in the background," he instructed.

"Got it," I nodded, feeling kind of worried. I didn't want to get anyone fired, especially me. That would look really bad on my resume.

Luckily, Edward ignores all rules and falls hard for Bella. They spend the next month hiding their relationship until caught one night by Charlie Swan, Bella’s father. In a heartbreaking scene, he fires Edward and orders him to leave the ship immediately. Edward leaves, ignoring Bella’s attempts to get him to fight for her. He knows in his heart that they would never work out.

"What's your name, young man?" he asked me, gruffly.

"Edward Cullen," I replied.

"And how do you know my daughter?" he continued.

I paused and glanced at Bella, not sure what she wanted me to say. Carlisle had hired me. I had never met Charlie Swan.

"He's the intern, Dad," Bella said softly, pulling on her hands like she did when she was nervous.

"The intern?" Mr. Swan's face went from confusion to realization to pure anger in about 10 seconds. I was totally fucked now.

"Bella, how could you?" he asked, incredulous with his daughter.

"I'm sorry Dad," she said quietly, like a little girl, looking at the floor.

"Well, Mr. Cullen, you are fired. Please go and pack your things," Mr. Swan said coldly.

"But I love him Dad," Bella said, her voice cracking, her eyes fixed on me.

"You don't know what you're saying Bella," Mr. Swan replied, frowning at her.

"Tell him Edward. Tell him you love me," Bella continued, stepping closer to me, wrapping her arms around herself.

"Bella," I said, shaking my head. "I should just go. Different worlds, remember that the first night? I'm not right for you. "

"You should listen to him, Bella," Mr. Swan interrupted.

"Shut up! Both of you," Bella shouted in frustration.

"You can honestly stand there and tell me you don't love me?" she squeaked, taking another step toward me, her beautiful face crumpled up in sadness.

I felt like I might be sick. I did love her. I shouldn't and I didn't want to but I did. This was so fucked up.

"Bella, fuck. What do you think? You're gonna come down to Quincy to the pub and hang out with me and friends? No, you're not. It's not gonna happen. I should just go," I said, anger in my voice because I hated that this was the truth. I could tell that she mistook my anger to be directed at her.

"Edward, go pack your things now and I will get you a boat ticket to Hyannis. You must go now," Mr. Swan said firmly. He stepped in front of his daughter, taking her by the shoulders.

"Don't touch me!" she shouted through her tears and pushed him away. "I want to hear you say it, Edward! Tell me you don't love me!"

I looked at her face, etched with pain. She needed me to love her. She had given herself to me completely, even after all the hurt Jacob had caused her.

But I couldn't do it. I had to let her go.

"Bella…. It could never work. I'm sorry," I stuttered softly, my eyes downcast.

The bulk of Southern Cross is the reactions Bella and Edward get from her parents, her friends and his friends. Bella’s parents are slow to accept Edward, and Charlie even goes as far as offering him a large sum of money to stay away from her. Edward turns it down and things begin to change for Edward and Bella.

Enter Jake, Bella’s ex-boyfriend. They graduated Harvard together and Bella lost her virginity to him. Right before they graduated, she walked in on him in bed with another woman. They had just broken up when she met Edward. This Jake is definitely not who everyone thinks he is.

There are many twists and turns to this story. MellieB starts hinting at a plot twist around Chapter 10 and we do get one. I won’t spoil it for you but it’s a good one.

I am surprised that this fic does not have more reviews. It has all the bones of a great story including forbidden love, action and lemons. It never gets too deep or angsty and the author does a great job of moving the story along. I would highly recommend it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment