WIP of the Week: 1/30/12

January 30, 2012

Snapdragon by Prettykittyartist

Rating: M
Genre: Angst/Romance
Characters: Edward & Bella

Summary: Once upon a time, a girl fell in love with a boy. He gave her a ring and promised her forever. No one told her there'd be an expiration date on her glass slippers. What's a girl to do when she stands to lose everything? She fights. Hard. EXB AH AU

Do you like stories where Edward and Bella are married-older, wiser, and have really lived? Do you like when they have kids? How about a strong, fierce Bella willing to fight for what she wants? Or an Edward that is so far from perfect he's in his own zip code? If real, raw, and honest is your cup of tea, then prettykittyartist's Snapdragon is definitely the story for you.

If you've read any of prettykittyartist's work before (and if you haven't, WHERE have you been?) you know she's an HEA girl, but by the time you reach the end of the first chapter, you'll likely be scratching your head trying to figure out which magic hat she has to be able to pull that off for this fic. Bella and Edward are married, and have been for almost 20 years. If you ask Edward, he'll tell you happily … ask Bella and you're going to get a much different answer.

He chuckled against my lips and pulled away after leaving several small pecks. "We're embarrassing the children again," he said without apology. 

I shrugged and pulled myself closer to him, wrapping my arms around his neck. "That's the fun part." I hugged him close to me and soaked up the manly scent of his skin as I pressed my nose to his chest. 

"I'm going to miss you," I said softly. 

He stroked my back gently and hummed into my hair. "I'll miss you too, cookie," he said before kissing me again. I wasn't sure if it was more to piss off our gagging daughter, or for his benefit, but I had to admit I was dreading the trip he was about to take. 

I smiled against his lips. "You haven't called me cookie for a long time," I mused. The nickname always brought back so many memories and always brought me to my knees. 

"You'll always be my cookie," he promised. "I'm sorry I was an asshole earlier. I'm just tired." 

I wrapped my arms around his waist and laid my head against his chest. "Wake me up next time, okay? I don't like you sleeping somewhere else." 

The thing that gets me, and I know will get you, too, is how real this story is. Just because there are couples all over the world going through the same issues … kids, money, meddlesome parents, exes … does not mean this story is cliché. I promise you it's anything but. You'll root for Bella (and probably hope she practices Kung Fu on Edward's nether regions) and you're going to want to hold him down, shave his head, and tattoo asshole across his forehead. At the same time though, you're going to root for them both to work things out and be the couple they're supposed to be. Prettykittyartist has done an excellent job of using flashbacks to show us how much in love Edward and Bella used to be … and lets us know how they can be again. The words she uses are straight forward and in your face. There's no sugarcoating and there's no hiding. Edward and Bella's marriage is crumbling before their eyes and it's ugly and painful … and so very real, but there are glimpses of sunshine through the dark. The only question? Is Bella strong enough to stem the tide and put her family back together again or is she too late?

Read Snapdragon and find out. I guarantee you won't be sorry.

0 comments:

Post a Comment