Completed Fic of the Week: 4/11-4/17

April 12, 2011

The Last Breath by First Blush
Review by anonymouslysufferingfromOCD

Rating: M
Genre: Romance/Drama
Characters: Edward/Bella

Summary: It's 1944, Edward awakes in a London field hospital. He's told his wife was in an air raid and did not survive. This sends Edward on a journey over two continents to find the love of his life, forgiveness for his past, and a joy he never even knew existed

First let me say about this story, I am a sucker for historical romance and I love a well researched and well written story. This story gave me all of those things.

As the summary describes, is set in 1944 in World War II. After being injured on the front lines in July, Edward wakes up in London in September to find that his wife did not survive an air raid. Of course the bond between Edward and Bella tells him that they are wrong, he knows that his wife can’t be dead, he would be able to feel it. That thought and his sheer determination allow him to leave the hospital shortly after awakening so he can go find out information about his beloved Isabella.

NO! I would not believe it until I put my hand on her cold chest and saw that her eyes would never open to me again. She didn't feel dead to me. Somewhere in my head I wondered if it was shock or denial but all of my heart was screaming NO, NO, NO! I will find her.

"You have two days to get me out of here," I spat at him. "You either get me out, or I'll get myself out."

The story is written completely in EPOV, it is around 170K words with extensive Author’s Notes at the end of each chapter, which explain the historical significance about real events that are included in each chapter. When I say that the story is well researched, I mean it, First Blush really did her homework to understand what went on during that time.

Edward and Bella met while both working for the same faction in the military, Bella is a highly trained, very intelligent operative that works in covert intelligence. This story introduces us to a very strong, independent Bella in a time when strong, independent women were not common or encouraged.

Edward leaves the hospital and learns from his former, and Bella’s current boss, Colonel Swan, where he can find his wife.

"Sit down, Edward."

He led me back a few steps and I sat in one of the black leather armchairs. I leaned forward and put my head in both of my hands. The relief was exquisite. I had been convinced she was alive, but to hear it from his mouth made my heart swell. My face burned and tears welled in my eyes.

"Edward, it's not good."

I looked up from my hands, stunned to hear the words. My expression went blank. My breath caught in my chest. It was trapped there in confusion and apprehension over what he was about to say.

Colonel Swan's voice was restrained.

Edward not only learns that while Bella is still alive she is still in the fight for her life, and it doesn’t look good. He also learns that she was pregnant and gave birth to a stillborn baby girl the month before. Bella is also under the impression that Edward didn’t make it and doesn’t have a whole lot to fight for.

This is a story of romance and suspense, with Edward fighting to find his wife, then to help save her life, add to it Bella and her struggle to survive, plus her convincing argument that their baby is alive. It is a long hard road for both of them, but completely worth it in the end of course.

Because Edward and Bella had a whirlwind romance and courtship we learn things about the two of them as they learn them. First Blush has managed to know exactly when to throw in a flashback so questions that we ask are answered immediately.

We get to join our favorite couple on a journey of love and discovery meeting many of our favorite characters along the way, and while we don’t get to keep them all throughout the entire story the love that we have for all involved grows immensely as the story unfolds. We get to watch their strength grow together as they fight to help end a war, find each other, and find their child.

If you have any interest at all in historical romance, I highly recommend you read The Last Breath, I was not able to walk away once I started reading it. It truly is a very impressive, very well researched story with heartbreakingly, emotional chapters that will keep you wanting more.


Welcome to our weekly edition of The Banner and the Blurb! We are teaming up on a weekly basis with TwiFicPics to highlight their feature The Banner and the Blurb, bringing attention to the incredible banner makers that are out there.  We hope to bring more and more readers to these deserving fics show you some excellent graphics!
Please go check out the review on TwiFicPics and adopt a banner or two while you're there!

0 comments:

Post a Comment